THE Samsung announced on Tuesday (19) a modified version of the Galaxy Fold: the W20 5G, exclusive to China, is the first phone from the manufacturer with Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 Plus processor. There are also some differences in design, including flatter edges, but the screen remains foldable to expand to a tablet size.
The Samsung W20 5G features a 4.6-inch Super AMOLED external screen to use when the phone is closed. When you open it, you will find the flexible 7.3-inch Dynamic AMOLED screen with HDR10 support.
The W20 5G adopts the improvements that Samsung has implemented to make the Galaxy Fold less fragile. This includes flexible parts at the top and bottom, where the folding screen meets the hinge, to prevent dust from entering.
The edges of the W20 5G are flat, while they have a more rounded look on the Galaxy Fold. However, the volume, on / off, chip tray and fingerprint buttons are in the same position.
The processor is the Snapdragon 855 Plus, with a higher clock in the prime core (Kryo 485 Gold) and with a graphics chip operating at a higher frequency. It continues, however, with 12 GB of RAM and 512 GB of non-expandable storage, in addition to the six cameras.
There is no headphone jack, just a USB-C port. Fortunately, the W20 5G comes with a pair of Galaxy Buds, as well as the Galaxy Fold. It will also come with a leather case and Samsung Care + service, with a discount on changing the folding screen or battery, exclusive VIP hotline for support for 18 months and priority repairs for 12 months.
The W20 5G will be available in black or white. It will be launched in China in December; the price has not yet been revealed. The device is compatible with China Unicom and China Telecom networks.
Samsung W20 5G on the left and Galaxy Fold (via Twitter):
Samsung W20 5G – specs
- Main: 7.3-inch Infinity Flex, Dynamic AMOLED panel, 2152 x 1536 pixel resolution, 4.2: 3 aspect ratio, 362 ppi
- Secondary: 4.6 inches, Super AMOLED panel, 1680 x 720 pixel resolution, 21: 9 aspect ratio, 399 ppi
- Processor: Snapdragon 855 Plus
- RAM: 12 GB
- Storage: 512 GB (UFS 3.0)
- Rear cameras:
- 12 megapixels with f / 1.5 or f / 2.4 aperture, OIS (optical image stabilization)
- 12 megapixel, f / 2.4, with 2x optical zoom, OIS
- 16 megapixel, f / 2.2, 123 degree ultrawide
- Dual internal camera: 10 megapixel, f / 2.2 + 8 megapixel, f / 1.9 (depth)
- Frontal camera: 10 megapixel, f / 2.2
- Drums: 4,235 mAh, fast wired or wireless (15 W), Power Share
- Connectivity: 5G NSA (Non-Standalone), Wi-Fi 802.11ax, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, USB-C, GPS, Galileo, Glonass, BeiDou
- Dimensions: 62.8 x 160.9 x 15.7-17.1 mm folded; 117.9 x 160.9 x 6.9 mm open
- Weight: 276 g
- Operational system: Android 9 Pie with One UI