As promised, the Samsung announced on Wednesday (31) the Galaxy Tab S6: the new tablet has S Pen with Bluetooth for remote controls; dual rear camera; and Snapdragon 855 processor combined with desktop-like DeX mode to compete with iPad Pro and Microsoft Surface. It will start at $ 649 in the USA.
The Galaxy Tab S6 has a 10.5-inch Super AMOLED screen with a digital reader built into the display; is the first Samsung tablet to use this technology. You can double-tap the screen to activate it.
One of the highlights is the S Pen: it attaches magnetically in a specific area of the rear, and charges the battery without relying on wires. The pen detects 4,096 pressure levels. Samsung Notes allows you to take quick notes or drawings while you watch a video at the same time, including adjusting the transparency of the window.
And thanks to Bluetooth connectivity, the S Pen is able to activate the camera, switch between slides in a presentation and pause videos at a distance, holding the side button and gesturing up or down. It is somewhat similar to the Galaxy Note 9 pen.
Galaxy Tab S6 is focused on performance and multimedia
The Galaxy Tab S6 has a Snapdragon 855 processor with up to 8 GB of RAM and up to 256 GB of expandable storage. It focuses on performance, unlike the predecessor Galaxy Tab S5e, to compete more directly with the iPad Pro and Microsoft Surface.
Therefore, the Tab S6 brings an improved version of the Samsung DeX that offers a desktop experience on Android. The optional cover with keyboard and trackpad features the Fn + DeX key combination to activate this mode quickly. It is possible to adjust the screen angle freely (they are not fixed angles).
Samsung placed a dual camera on the back of the Galaxy Tab S6, including a 13 megapixel main sensor and a 123 degree ultrawide lens sensor. However, interestingly, she forgot about the flash.
There is a focus on multimedia here. The Tab S6 features four AKG speakers with Dolby Atmos; allows you to access Discord’s live chat features through the Game Launcher; and offers three free months of Spotify Premium (for new subscribers) and four months of YouTube Premium. There is no 3.5 mm headphone jack, so you need to use the USB-C port.
The Galaxy Tab S6 will launch in the U.S. on September 6. The Wi-Fi model with 6 GB of RAM and 128 GB of storage will cost US $ 649, while the 8 + 256 GB model will cost US $ 729. These prices include the S Pen, but not the keyboard cover, which costs more $ 179. There will be versions with 4G connectivity in the coming months.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 – specs:
- Screen: 10.5-inch AMOLED, 1600 x 2560, 287 ppi
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855
- RAM and storage: 6 GB + 128 GB or 8 GB + 256 GB, microSD up to 1 TB
- Dual rear camera:
- 13 megapixel main sensor, f / 2.0, 1 µm pixels
- 5 megapixel f / 2.2 ultrawide sensor, 1.12 µm pixels, 123˚ viewing angle
- 4K UHD video recording (3840 x 2160) at 30 fps
- Frontal camera: 8 megapixels, f / 2.0, 1.12 µm pixels
- Drums: 7,040 mAh
- Operational system: Android 9 Pie with One UI
- Connectivity: USB-C, 802.11ac dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz), MIMO, Wi-Fi Direct, Bluetooth 5.0, location (GPS + GLONASS, Beidou, Galileo)
- Sensors: digital on-screen optical reader, accelerometer, gyroscope, compass, Hall, RGB light
- Audio: 4 AKG speakers, Dolby Atmos, 2 microphones
- Dimensions: 244.5 x 159.5 × 5.7 mm, 420 g
- Colors: gray, blue, pink
- Accessories: Book Cover Keyboard (cover with keyboard), Book Cover (cover without keyboard), POGO Charging Dock (charging base), S Pen