O Galaxy Fold it just didn’t give the headache anymore Samsung than the explosive Galaxy Note 7. But everything will finally be resolved: the Korean company has confirmed that its first foldable smartphone will be officially released this week.
It starts at home: the Galaxy Fold will be available in South Korea starting this Friday (6). On September 18, the device arrives in Germany, France, Singapore and the United Kingdom.
As for the United States, the company says the launch will take place in the coming weeks, but has not yet specified a date. Rumors indicate that, there, the foldable smartphone will also arrive this month, but on the 27th.
Launching the Galaxy Fold is, above all, a matter of honor. In the race to be a pioneer in the foldable cell phone segment, Samsung made design mistakes that were quickly identified by journalists who had access to the first units.
Among the problems were black bands that appeared on the screen with only a few hours of use. There have also been reports of elevations that appeared in the fold region. The hinge, by the way, had not been properly designed. It contained, for example, openings that allowed debris to enter.
To make matters worse, some testers removed the film covering the screen believing that it was only an additional protection when, in fact, the component was important for the functioning of the screen.
Samsung has implemented several changes to address these deficiencies. The film, for example, has increased in size to cover the entire screen and reach the edges. This measure prevents (or at least makes it difficult) the removal of the component.
The upper and lower parts of the fold area were reinforced with additional protections. Also in this area, the space between the hinge and the Galaxy Fold housing has been reduced. Metal layers have been added under the Infinity Flex Display panel to reinforce the screen protection.
The Galaxy Fold arrives in South Korea at a price equivalent to the US $ 1,980 suggested for the American market. The smartphone will be launched in countries other than those announced, but over the next few weeks.
Even in Brazil the model should show up, after all, the Galaxy Fold already modified was approved by Anatel in early August.
Samsung Galaxy Fold – technical sheet
- Main: 7.3-inch Infinity Flex, Dynamic AMOLED panel, 2152 × 1536 pixel resolution, 4.2: 3 aspect ratio, 362 ppi
- Secondary: 4.6 inches, Super AMOLED panel, 1680 × 720 pixel resolution, 21: 9 aspect ratio, 399 ppi
- Processor: 7 nanometer octa-core (Samsung Exynos or Snapdragon 855)
- RAM: 12 GB
- Storage: 512 GB (UFS 3.0)
- Rear cameras:
- 12 megapixels with f / 1.5 or f / 2.4 aperture, OIS (optical image stabilization)
- 12 megapixel, f / 2.4, with 2x optical zoom, OIS
- 16 megapixel, f / 2.2, 123 degree ultrawide
- Dual internal camera: 10 megapixel, f / 2.2 + 8 megapixel, f / 1.9 (depth)
- Frontal camera: 10 megapixel, f / 2.2
- Drums: 4,380 mAh (4,235 mAh in 5G version), fast charging with or without wires, Power Share
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11ax, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, USB-C, GPS, Galileo, Glonass, BeiDou
- Dimensions: 62.8 x 160.9 x 15.7-17.1 mm folded; 117.9 x 160.9 x 6.9 mm open
- Weight: 276 g
- Operational system:Android 9 Pie
With information: The Verge.