The IRS is conducting an auction with cell phones, watches, computer items and consoles whose minimum bids total R $ 3.4 million. There are lots with dozens of iPhones, Apple Watches, Xiaomi phones, AirPods headphones, SSDs, PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch. Smartphones were seized in Foz do Iguaçu, a city close to the border with Paraguay.
Revenue auction for iPhones and Xiaomi phones
Most of the lots are open only to legal entities, due to the value. O Tecnoblog gathered some examples; the minimum bid amount is in parentheses:
- lot 10: 69 units of PlayStation 4, 46 of Xbox One and 17 of Nintendo Switch (R $ 61,500)
- lot 11: 30 iPhones and 27 Pocophone F1 units (R $ 50,500)
- lot 12: 50 units of Apple Watch and 32 of Galaxy Watch (R $ 39,250)
- lot 16: 116 units of Asus Zenfone 4, 74 of Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite and 18 of Redmi 6A (R $ 78,250)
- lot 17: 39 AirPods, 8 iPhones, 25 units of the Pocophone F1, 35 of the Redmi Note 7, plus several cell phones from Samsung and Motorola (R $ 52,000)
- lot 18: 49 units of iPhone 7 Plus and two pairs of AirPods (R $ 47,250)
- lot 60: 626 external hard drives from WD and Seagate (R $ 39,250)
- lot 61: 780 Kingston and Sandisk SSDs (R $ 30,500)
There are several other examples, as almost half of the lots correspond to consumer electronics: they add up to the R $ 3.4 million that we mentioned earlier. Check the table:
|Category||Number of lots||Total minimum bids|
|Cellphone / Accessory||30||R $ 1,647,750|
|Computing||23||R $ 940,500|
|Video game||9||R $ 414,000|
|Clock / Part||13||R $ 389,000|
In this auction, lots 10 to 25 are under the responsibility of customs in Foz do Iguaçu. One can imagine that the IRS seized shipments of cell phones, smartwatches and other devices sold in Paraguay at a lower price (and without paying due taxes).
It is worth noting, however, that the auction of the 9th Fiscal Region also includes customs and police stations in Curitiba, Florianópolis, Londrina, Joinville, Maringá, Paranaguá, São Francisco do Sul and Cascavel. Proposals will be accepted until September 28, 2020; learn more details at this link.
From January to July this year, the Revenue held 40 auctions and raised R $ 118.7 million. The amount is destined to Social Security and Fundaf (Fund for the Development of Tax Activities), which finances inspection activities.
Auction has smartwatches…:
… in addition to several Xbox One units …
… And the PS4: